The team at Just Us Lawyers is passionate about supporting our clients – traditional owners and proponents alike. We understand how important native title and cultural heritage processes are for our clients as they offer rare opportunities to secure sustainable economic development outcomes. Partners Colin Hardie and Ted Besley have decades of experience working in Indigenous law and policy in Queensland, and have built an extensive network of professional contacts and relationships. Through their involvement in precedent-setting litigation, contribution to law reform and legal professional development, Just Us Lawyers are at the forefront of legal developments in Indigenous and Resource law.
Just Us Lawyers Indigenous practice covers the following services areas:
- Claims resolution – Native Title Determination Applications; Native Title Compensation Applications
- Native title agreement making and implementation – ILUAs and RTN agreements relating to mining and resources, tenure resolution, township expansion, infrastructure development and claims resolution.
- Aboriginal Cultural Heritage protection and management – compliance, agreement making and implementation, prosecutions and other disputes.
- Natural resource management – co-management arrangements eg. TUMRA’s, Indigenous Protected Areas and Coordinated Conservation Area.
- Advice on Native Title extinguishment issues
Just Us Lawyers also have substantial experience in the post-determination native title environment and offer the following services:
- Establishing and supporting Registered Native Title Bodies Corporate and Indigenous Businesses
- Future Acts and cultural heritage management
- Property dealings and statutory land rights
- Indigenous not for profits – achieving charitable status, , Public Benevolent Institution (PBI), Not-for-Profit (NFP), Income Tax Exempt Funds (ITEF)
- Indigenous corporate services – incorporation; business and strategic planning; governance; meetings; corporate compliance and annual returns; financial audits; policy development and training, and dealings with government agencies including IBA, ILC, ASIC and ORIC.
- Compensation for past and intermediate Acts that have extinguished Native Title.